fbpx

Why resiliency should be top of mind for recruiters

Resiliency is one of the key traits for modern-era recruiters, says Cornerstone’s Jim Kleijnen. “We need to build up a certain type of resiliency for now, as well as for the future”, he adds. In an e-book, the company delves into what it means for recruiters and TA professionals to be resilient.

Jasper Spanjaart on January 27, 2021 Average reading time: 3 min
Share this article:
Why resiliency should be top of mind for recruiters

For candidates looking to apply at German multinational Henkel, it used to be a given that they would spend up to 30 minutes on just applying. They’d have to submit initial application forms and fill in other documents — the consumer goods company asked a whole bunch of things before someone could even be considered an applicant. With help of Cornerstone, what once was a 30-minute task has now been decreased to a mere 60 seconds.

Happier (and more) candidates

Where candidates once left with a hand(and head)ache from all the writing they did, their info is now automatically imported from their LinkedIn profiles. With their brand-new fast-track service, candidates can now fly through the initial stages — and much to the benefit of Henkel. They have seen a whopping 40% increase in new applicants since launching the new recruitment portal.

What used to take up to 30 minutes can now easily be completed in one.”

“Nowadays we all expect digital experiences to be quick and simple”, says Valeria Gladsztein, head of global TA & learning at Henkel. “We expect it to be able to be done anywhere, anytime on any device and that is what we’re offering job seekers with this new recruitment platform and super lean application process. What used to take up to 30 minutes can now easily be completed in one.”

Building resiliency

Henkel is just one of many examples that shows a certain type of resiliency happening within the world of talent acquisition. Jim Kleijnen, Cornerstone’s regional sales manager for the Benelux, sees resiliency as a necessity for recruiters and TA professionals moving forward. “Only by being resilient can we be adequately prepared for the future”, he says. “We need that resiliency to be able to cope with the now, as well as whatever is coming in the future.”

In order to build up resiliency, recruiters need to understand whether they need to buy, borrow or build the skills that the organisation needs, and be able o manage and execute it all at scale.

That’s where what Cornerstone dubs an unbound mentality comes in: to be released from the constraints of traditional thinking and embracing change. One of those recent changes, the COVID-19 pandemic, exposed many weaknesses, but has also given everyone an opportunity to be better prepared, and… resilient. In order to build up resiliency, recruiters need to understand whether they need to buy, borrow or build the skills that the organisation needs, and be able o manage and execute it all at scale, Cornerstone says. “They must carefully balance the benefits to the organisation and benefits to the person, building the pillars of agility, authenticity, skills and learning into processes.”

From 74 to 15 days

Another example noted by Cornerstone is the remarkable change within the hiring practices of myjobscotland, the biggest public services job board in Scotland. Amidst the pandemic, they found that using video lead to faster time-to-hire and time-to-offer results. As a result, home carer roles were reduced from 74 days to offer to 15 days. “Candidates also felt that the video function provided a better candidate experience because they could avoid the stress of travel for interviews”, says Robyn Adamson, digital services learning and development coordinator at COSLA.

“Candidates also felt that the video function provided a better candidate experience because they could avoid the stress of travel for interviews.”

Stop looking for unicorns

The Cornerstone People Research Lab found that 83% of leaders have prioritised skills development in the past year, compared to just 63 percent within the last five years. What does that mean? That means recruiters have to transition from hiring for experience to hiring for skills. “Do not waste time looking for unicorns”, the e-book says. “A job advert for a marketing role which requires the candidate to have 15+ years’ experience in social media is not realistic, Facebook would’ve only existed for a year 15 years ago.”

“If a candidate only has 60 percent of the skills required but has the right attitude towards development, then organisations can work on building the other 40 percent of skills along the way.”

“Recruiting for these so-called unicorn candidates can limit an organisation’s potential talent pool”, the organisation adds. “If a candidate only has 60 percent of the skills required but has the right attitude towards development and fits in with the culture of the organisation, then organisations can work on building the other 40 percent of skills along the way.

Practice what you preach

While recruiters and TA leaders have always sought personnel that is eager to learn — there’s room for themselves to practice what they preach. It all comes down to what Cornerstone calls an open mindset. “By having this open mindset to recruiting and knowing that the perfect candidate may not even exist, recruiters will have more opportunities to build the candidate in the way they want.” Being able to use marketing, to avoid any bias, and to be able to use technology to make the process as efficient as possible.

“There is no better time for talent acquisition to adopt these new technologies and rewire their strategy than now.

That last part is something where talent acquisition has quite bluntly not done nearly enough: only 6% of recruitment functions say they have best-in-class processes and tech. “The pandemic forces all recruiters to accelerate their digitalisation”, Cornerstone says. “But there is no better time for talent acquisition to adopt these new technologies and rewire their strategy than now.

Want to learn more about Cornerstone?

Cornerstone is a proud partner of ToTalent Live: The European Recruitment Leadership Event. In total, we’re taking three strategic recruitment topics and presenting you with some of the very best insights you could possibly think of. Sign up for free.

Share this article:
Jasper Spanjaart

Jasper Spanjaart

Writer and editor at ToTalent

Premium partners View all partners

Intelligence Group
Recruitment Tech
Werf&

Read the newsletter about total talent acquisition.